Master of Science (MS)
Top-ranked, UCSF School of Nursing's Master of Science program prepares leaders in the advanced practice roles of nurse practitioner, clinical nurse specialist, nurse-midwife, health policy expert, administrator, teacher, and consultant.
Our Master's program offers a wide range of specialty areas that will prepare nurses for advanced practice certification in California and beyond. Applicants are encouraged to consult with faculty and coordinators in their desired specialty to determine if their goals and experience are suitable. Some specialties may require more experience than others.
Please visit the Masters Academic Overview page for more information on our specialties.
Required RN Experience
The following specialties require RN experience:
- Acute Care Pediatric Nurse Practitioner (ACPNP) — one year acute care pediatric nursing experience
- Neonatal Nursing (NNP/NEO-CNS) — two years of acute care nursing experience with infants/neonates
- Family Nurse Practitioner (FNP) — two years of experience and intention to work as APN in primary care
- Pediatric Nurse Practitioner (PNP) — one year pediatric nursing experience and two years’ or more highly recommended
- Adult-Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner (AGACNP) — two years of adult acute care nursing experience
- Adult-Gerontology Clinical Nurse Specialist (AGCNS, AGCNS-ONC, AGCNS-CCT) — one year or more of relevant clinical experience
Does Not Require RN Experience
The following specialities do not require RN experience:
- Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner (AGPCNP)
- Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner-Occupational and Environmental Health Nursing (AGPCNP-OEH)
- Advanced Public Health Nursing (APHN)
- Certified Nurse-Midwife/Women's Health Nurse Practitioner (CNM/WHNP)
- Health Policy Nursing
- Psychiatric/Mental Health Nurse Practitioner (PMHNP)
For applicants who already have a masters degree in a Nursing field, please visit the Post-Masters webpage in the Special Studies section.