Master of Science (MS)
Top-ranked, UCSF School of Nursing's Master of Science program prepares leaders in the advanced practice roles of nurse practitioner, clinical nurse specialist, nurse-midwife, administrator, teacher, and consultant.
Our Master's program offers a wide range of specialty areas that will prepare nurses for advanced practice certification in California and beyond. Applicants are encouraged to consult with faculty and coordinators in their desired specialty to determine if their goals and experience are suitable. Some specialties may require more experience than others.
Required RN Experience
The following specialties require RN experience:
- ACPNP—one year acute care pediatric nursing experience
- NNP/NEO-CNS—two years of acute care nursing experience with infants/neonates
- FNP—two years of experience and intention to work as APN in primary care
- PNP—one year pediatric nursing experience and two years’ or more highly recommended
- AGACNP—two years of adult acute care nursing experience
- AGCNS—one year or more of relevant clinical experience
- AGCNS-ONC—one year or more of relevant clinical experience
Please visit the Masters Academic Overview page for more information on our specialties.
For applicants who already have a masters degree in a Nursing field, please visit the Post-Masters webpage in the Special Studies section.