Our Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) degree program prepares innovative clinical experts and leaders to be at the top of the nursing profession in advancing patient care and policy in an increasingly complex health care environment.
During our program, students will develop skills in:
- Integrate nursing science, science-based theory and systems knowledge into the development and evaluation of new practice approaches to care.
- Apply analytic methods to the critical appraisal of literature and other evidence to develop and support best practice.
- Convene and lead inter-professional, collaborative stakeholder teams to create change and advance positive health outcomes.
- Generate, evaluate and articulate innovative solutions to complex care issues.
- Analyze the impact of local, national and global health policy on determinants of care decisions.
- Support cost and resource efficiency, quality and accessibility of healthcare for diverse client groups.
- Advocate for nursing and socially and ethically relevant policy in healthcare design and delivery.
- Support and effectively lead quality improvement initiatives that enhance safe, quality and evidence-driven care.
- Demonstrate leadership skill in developing approaches to care that address population needs based on science and evidence.
The DNP program at UCSF, the first to be established in the University of California system, offers an innovative seven-quarter hybrid program that combines online learning with select in-person immersions. Our faculty members have established clinical and teaching expertise, and hold advanced practice and leadership positions locally, regionally and nationally.
The DNP program accepts applications from master's prepared registered nurses in two pathways. Choose the appropriate role to view our admissions requirements.
Learn More at a DNP Virtual Informational Session
We hold virtual information sessions that enable applicants to learn more about the DNP program. Program leaders and faculty will be available to answer questions. Please check back soon for upcoming dates and information on how to register for our information sessions.
The DNP program at the UCSF School of Nursing is accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education.
Applications for fall 2021 entry have closed. Applications will open Sept. 1, 2021 through March 1, 2022 for fall 2022 entry.
Contact [email protected] for additional details.