PhD Sociology: FAQs

How many applicants apply each cycle? How many of those are accepted?

We get anywhere from 30-60 applications each application cycle; we accept 3-6 outstanding scholars each year.

Do I need to send official transcripts?

You do not need official transcripts for the application process; you can upload a pdf of student transcripts. If you are accepted into the program, you will need to have official transcripts sent directly to our department.

When do applications close? Do I need all my documents in by that date?

Applications close on Dec. 15. All transcripts and documents that you provide need to be received by Dec. 15. Recommenders are highly encouraged to have their letters uploaded by Dec. 15, but we can make exceptions on occasion to add a late letter to the application.

How long does the program take to complete?

The average time-to-completion is 6 years. This is less than the national average for Sociology programs.

How do TA-ships and research assistant-ships work? How do students, especially first year students, go about obtaining these?

UCSF does not have undergrad programs. This means there are very few TAships available across the campus. When a position is advertised, it is generally via an email.

Is there funding available?

We do our best to offer competitive funding or support to students we admit, with the most competitive funding in the form of fellowships, awards, or employment, going to applicants who are best matched to our program. Unfortunately, we are unable to match a support package to every single admission offered. Without a guarantee, we strongly encourage applicants to consider additional resources and supplemental forms of Financial Aid.

Can I earn this degree while out of the area?

The first two years of the program require that you attend classes in person. We do not have remote classrooms. After the coursework portion of the program, you are no longer required to be in the Bay Area. You will, however, be expected to keep in regular contact with your advisor and the department. If you move out of state, you will be charged non-resident fees and tuition.

If you have additional questions, please email [email protected] for assistance.