I took an advanced level stats course, but it is not within the required time frame. Can an exception be granted for me?
No. The School of Nursing faculty has determined that the course must have been taken within a specific number of years, depending on the program.
- For MEPN: Statistics must be completed within three years of the application deadline.
- For the Master of Science program: Completion of an introductory college-level statistics course must be within five years of UCSF entry. A recent course is desirable.
- For the MS-HAIL program: Completion of an introductory college-level statistics course must be within five years of UCSF entry. A recent course is desirable.
- For the PhD program: Completion of a statistics course must be within three years of UCSF entry. A recent course is desirable.
- For the DNP program: Completion of a statistics course must be within three years of the start of the program.
Can the statistics course be a graduate level course?
If I took a research class in which a portion of the content involved statistics, will that meet this requirement?
Can I take a certificate course through StraighterLine, Ed2Go, or similar organizations for ACE or other credit equivalents?
No. We will require that you provide an official transcript showing that you completed a course for college credit.
If I took a statistics or quantitative research methods course for psychology, business, environmental science, public health or other field, will it be acceptable?
Almost certainly; if you have questions about a specific course, you may send a syllabus or course description to [email protected] for approval.
Any suggestions on a course?
Here are some places to begin: California Virtual Campus is a great resource that lists online courses offered at colleges and universities in California. Before you sign up for a course be sure to find out if it offers college credit that will appear on a transcript at an accredited college or university. We also know of students who have been in your situation who took online courses at Excelsior College, UCB Extension, University of Massachusetts, and/or University of Phoenix.