Frequently Asked Questions (MS)

Please refer to the following FAQs regarding the UCSF School of Nursing Master of Science (MS) Program:

Do I need to have the statistics prerequisite completed by the application deadline?
It is highly recommended you have the statistics prerequisite completed by the application deadline. As a reminder, an introductory college-level statistics course must be completed within five years of UCSF entry; a recent course is desirable. For example, for Fall 2016 entry, any statistics course taken and completed prior to Fall 2011 does not meet this requirement. A college-level statistics course taken at an accredited college or university that results in credit on the college’s transcript meets this requirement. Online courses that earn credit on an accredited college or university transcript meet this requirement. We do accept applications that list the statistics prerequisite that is in-progress at the time of application submission or planned for completion prior to the start UCSF entry. In the prerequisite section of the application, list that the course is in-progress in the grade field, and list the quarter/semester when the course will be completed. Applicants must provide evidence of completing this requirement for admission by providing the college transcript that displays the statistics course grade and credits earned. See more regarding the statistics requirement.

If I am a re-applicant from a previous admissions cycle, are there any additional instructions for me?
Re-applicants must submit a revised goal statement and at least one new or updated letter of recommendation. Re-applicants may contact the Office of Student Affairs for assistance with previously submitted transcripts, recommendations, or TOEFL/IELTS test scores.

Is the GRE required for the Master of Science program at UCSF?
No, only our Masters Entry Program in Nursing (MEPN) and PhD in Nursing require submission of GRE scores.

English was not my first language, but I completed my bachelor’s degree in the United States. Am I still required to take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)?
Waivers of the TOEFL exam are reviewed on a case by case basis. Applicants may submit an appeal letter to the Office of Student Affairs. In the appeal letter, you must detail your use of English both in the academic setting and in your current and prior work experiences. Applicants are advised to submit this letter well in advance of the application deadline, so that in the event of a denied waiver, you have ample time to take the TOEFL exam send your scores in to complete your application. Send your appeal letter to [email protected]

How do I decide which specialty to apply to?
At the time of application, you will be asked to select a specialty area, which will largely determine your future as an advanced practice nurse. This is a critical decision and should be made with great care as you will not be allowed to change once you have been admitted to a given specialty. As you can imagine, there is a tremendous difference in the specialty education of a nurse midwife vs. that of a gerontological clinical nurse specialist. It is essential that you research these different specialty areas thoroughly in advance, that you reflect carefully on your experience, personal interests, strengths, weaknesses, talents, and inclinations so as to make the most informed decision possible. Each specialty area has its own dedicated page on this website.

How many days during the week am I required to be on campus?
Days on campus vary with each quarter of the program. Number of campus days is also influenced by the individual student's elective choices, by the need to fill prerequisites, and by individual clinical placements. On-campus classroom activities average two to three days per week. Flexibility in scheduling decreases throughout the program, as the clinical residency requires more time. Program faculty and students must accommodate the needs and limits of clinical resources and cannot necessarily choose specific days or hours for clinical placements.

Is it possible to work while attending school?
Most students enrolled in school need to work to supplement their financial aid, savings, or other sources of income. It is often difficult to accommodate both classroom and clinical schedules. When clinical hours are greatest and require flexible scheduling, it can be difficult to accommodate work schedules, but not impossible. Students have found that trying to keep a work schedule to 50% or less during the academic year is recommended. Consult with the specialty coordinator for more information about program specifics.

How do I find housing in the area? Is it expensive?
Many of our students find that sharing housing is a good approach to solving both the availability and cost issues. Housing in the Bay Area may be expensive, but help can be found with the campus Housing Office. This website contains information for on campus housing, as well as resources to identify off campus house. We advise newly admitted students to start their housing search as soon as possible.