Yoshimi Fukuoka, RN, PhD
My research program focuses on primary and secondary prevention of heart disease in adults, particularly in women and ethnic/racial minorities. I am interested in developing and testing innovative applications of information and communication technologies and e-health (e.g. mobile phone) to reduce risks of heart disease and promote self-care management skills in patients with heart disease. My current randomized controlled clinical trial entitled, “Applying Mobile-Persuasive Technologies to Increase Physical Activity in Women,” has been funded by the NHLBI. The primary aim of this RCT is to test the efficacy of a mobile phone-based physical activity intervention among sedentary women on increasing physical activity as compared to a control group.
- Research Design
- Quantitative Research Methods
- Cardiovascular Nursing
- Designing Behavioral Interventions
- American Heart Association
- American Association of Critical Care Nurses
- Sigma Theta Tau, Alpha Eta Chapter
- American Heart Failure Society
- American Association of Occupational Health Nursing
- Fukuoka Y, Kamitani E, Dracup K, Jong SS. (2011). New Insights into compliance with a mobile phone diary and pedometer use in sedentary women. Journal of Physical Activity & Health, 8(3), 398-403.
- Fukuoka Y, Takeshima M, Ishii N, Chikako M, Makaya M, Groah L, Kyriakidis E, Dracup K. (2010). An initial analysis: Working hours and delay in seeking care during acute coronary events. American Journal of Emergency Medicine, 28(6), 734-740. PMID: 20637393
- Fukuoka Y, Vittinghoff E, Jong SS, Haskell W. (2010). Innovation to motivation--A pilot study of mobile phone intervention to increase physical activity among sedentary women. Preventive Medicine, 51(3-4), 287-289. PMID: 20600263
- Fukuoka Y, Dracup K, Takeshima M, Ishii N, Makaya M, Groah L, Kyriakidis E. (2009). Effect of job strain and depressive symptoms upon returning to work after acute coronary syndrome. Social Science & Medicine, 68(10), 1875-1881. PMID: 19299061
- Lindgren TG, Fukuoka Y, Rankin SH, Cooper BA, Carroll D, Munn YL. (2008). Cluster analysis of elderly cardiac patients' prehospital symptomatology. Nursing Research, 57(1),14-23. PMID: 18091288