Susan Kools, RN, PhD, FAAN
As an adolescent psychiatric nurse scientist, I have studied vulnerable adolescents for almost 30 years. I am an international expert in adolescence and qualitative research methods. The focus of my program of research is the mental health and development of adolescents. My aim is to promote a greater understanding of developmentally appropriate interventions and contexts for care for young people. I have primarily studied adolescents in foster care and its influence on health and well being. I have explored adolescent illness experiences, including pediatric hyperlipidemia, congenital heart disease, hospitalization in Hong Kong and China, and HIV prevention in Malawi, Africa.
- Adolescent Development
- Advanced Child Developmental Science
- Advanced Qualitative Methods
- Nursing Leadership in Adolescent and Young Adult Health
- Grounded Theory Analysis
My professional activities center on the promotion of diversity in nursing. I have Co-Chaired the UCSF School of Nursing’s Diversity in Action Committee (DIVA) for 14 years. Its mission is to promote a welcoming and inclusive academic community. DIVA is actively involved in student admissions and faculty searches to enhance diversity, curricular evaluation and revision, and faculty diversity training. I serve on Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity, and Diversity committees. I was a member of the American Association of Colleges of Nursing Advisory Group on Cultural Competence and lead a Maternal Child Health Bureau Peer Diversity Collaborative.
- Rankin SH, Kools SM, Nyagondwe Fiedler R, Schell E, Phiri J, Mguntha A. (2011). "The wind of openness": Religious organizations, Malawi youth and HIV. International Journal of Child and Adolescent Health, 4(2), 141-153.
- Kools S, Paul SM, Norbeck JS, Robbins NR. (2009). Dimensions of health in young people in foster care. International Journal of Adolescent Medicine and Health, 21(2), 221-233. PMID: 19702202
- Kools S. (2003). Issue brief: Mental health and developmental needs of transitioning adolescents in foster care. Sacramento, CA: California Partnership for Children.
- Kools S. (1997). Adolescent identity development in foster care. Family Relations, 46(3), 1-9.
- Kools S, McCarthy M, Durham R, Robrecht L. (1996). Dimensional analysis: Broadening the conception of grounded theory. Qualitative Health Research, 6(3), 312-330.