Shari L. Dworkin, PhD, MS
Vice Chair of the Department of Social and Behavioral Sciences and Affiliated Faculty--Center for AIDS Prevention Studies (CAPS) and Global Health Sciences Master's Program
My main area of research emphasis is on HIV/AIDS prevention and gender relations. I have special interest in structural interventions, particularly those at the intersection of economic empowerment programs and HIV/AIDS prevention.
Much of my research involves integrating microfinance and/or property rights into HIV/AIDS prevention efforts globally. I also conduct studies that emphasis how masculinities shape health outcomes, and I work on "gender-transformative" interventions to reduce violence and HIV/AIDS risks.
Finally, some of my research involves print media analyses focused on health, gender, and the body, including the recent Caster Semenya controversy.
- Global & Local Health Disparities and Inequalities
- Quantitative Methods
- Feminist Theory
- Gender and Health
- Social, Cultural, and Economic Determinants of Global Health
- Associate Editor, Archives of Sexual Behavior
- Editorial Board, Journal of Sex Research, Sociology of Sport Journal
- Full Member, International Academy of Sex Research
- Co-Chair, Research Committee, UCGHI Center of Expertise on Women's Health and Empowerment
- Alternate Co-Director, UCGHI Center of Expertise on Women's Health and Empowerment
- Member, UCSF Global Health Sciences Graduate Advisory Group
- Advisory Board Member, Bridging Interdisciplinary Research Careers in Women's Health, UCSF School of Medicine
- Vice President Elect, Pacific Sociological Association
- Member, Women's Research Initiative (WRI)
- Member, National Council on Gender
- Global Advisory Board, Pangaea Global AIDS Foundation
- Dworkin SL, Hatcher A, Colvin C, Peacock D. (2013). Impact of an anti-violence and HIV program onmasculinities and gender ideologies in Limpopo and the Eastern Cape. Men and Masculinities, 16(2), 181-202.
- Lu T, Kwena Z, Zwicker L, Bukusi E, Maura-Muira E, Dworkin S. (2013). Securing women’s property rights in the era of HIV/AIDS: Barriers and facilitators of implementing a community-led structural intervention in Western Kenya. AIDS Education and Prevention, 25(2), 151-163.
- Dworkin SL, Grabe S, Lu T, Kwena Z, Bukusi E, Mwaura-Muira E. (2013). Property rights violations as a structural driver of women's HIV risks in Nyanza and Western Provinces, Kenya. Archives of Sexual Behavior. PMID: 23297153
- Dworkin, S., Colvin, C., Hatcher, A., Peacock, D. (2012). Men's perceptions of women's rights and changing gender relations in South Africa: Lessons for working with men and boys in HIV and anti-violence Programs. Gender & Society, 26, 97-120.
- Dworkin SL, Dunbar MS, Krishnan S, Hatcher AM, Sawires S. (2011). Uncovering tensions and capitalizing on synergies in HIV/AIDS and antiviolence programs. American Journal of Public Health, 101(6), 995-1003. PMID: 21164091