Robert (Bob) Newcomer, PhD
For the past 10 years, my research interests have focused on studies of health and community service expenditures among long term care recipients, occupational injury among personal care workers, and assisted living. I have also done extensive work in care coordination and managed care. I am currently a co-Principal Investigator on a study conducted in collaboration with the State Department of Health Care Services developing a longitudinal data base that includes Medicaid claims, home care and other assessments. These files include aged and non-aged disabled adults and they are linked to Medicare claims for those with dual eligibility.
Participate on qualifying examination/dissertations and some directed readings and research internships
- Recent past chair, Gerontological Society of America section on Social Research, Policy & Practice
- 2011-12 Chairperson, UCSF Academic Senate
|2001||21st Helen Nahm Research Lecture Award, UCSF School of Nursing|
|1997||Fellow, Association of Health Services Research|
|1983||Fellow, Gerontological Society of America|
|1971||Gordon Whitnal Award, Graduate Program in Urban and Regional Planning, University of Southern California|
|1971||George Schluderberg Award, American Association of Retired Persons|
- Gaugler JE, Wall MM, Kane RL, Menk JS, Sarsour K, Johnston JA, Beusching D, Newcomer R. (2010). The effects of incident and persistent behavioral problems on change in caregiver burden and nursing home admission of persons with dementia. Medical Care, 48(10), 875-883. PMID: 20733529
- Flores C, Bostrom A, Newcomer R. (2009). Inspection visits in residential care facilities for the elderly: The effects of a policy change in California. Journal of Applied Gerontology, 28(5), 539-559.
- Chiu WK, Newcomer R. (2007). A systematic review of nurse-assisted case management to improve hospital discharge transition outcomes for the elderly. Professional Case Management, 12(6), 330-336. PMID: 18030153
- Scherzer T, Newcomer R. (2007). Barriers to documenting occupational injuries among personal assistance services workers. American Journal of Industrial Medicine, 50(7), 536-544. PMID: 17477359
- Newcomer R, Kang T, Graham C. (2006). Outcomes in a nursing home transition case-management program targeting new admissions. The Gerontologist, 46(3), 385-390. PMID: 16731878