JoAnne M. Saxe, RN, ANP, MS, DNP
I have taught a variety of nurse practitioner-related courses at UCSF and am very involved in the Department's faculty practices. My areas of special interest include:
- Curriculum Development
- Clinical Decision Making
- Clinical Management of Common Primary Care Conditions
- Continuous Quality Improvement
- Health Assessment of Individuals, Families and Communities
- Innovative Nursing Practices
- Interprofessional Education and Training
- Nurse Practitioner Regulatory and Legal Issues
I am also a visiting faculty member at the Chinese University, The Nethersole School of Nursing. I teach in the Master and Doctor of Nursing programs.
- Counseling for Behavior Change
- Introduction to the Patient-Centered Medical Home
- Management of Complex Health Problems
- Quality Improvement and Patient Safety
- Adult Gerontology Nurse Practitioner Clinical Residencies
- Member, National Organization of Nurse Practitioner Faculties
- Member, American Nurses Association
- Member, American Academy of Nurses
- Member, California Association of Nurse Practitioners
- Member, National Nursing Centers Consortium
- Saxe, JM (2014). Commentary: Forgiveness as an important tool for healing, Science of Caring, May 2014.
- Rugen, KW, Watts, SA, Janson, SL … Saxe, J. M. (2014) VA Centers of Excellence in Primary Care Education: Transforming Nurse Practitioner Education, Nursing Outlook, 62(2), 78-88. PMID: 24630678
- Saxe, JM, Smith, V & McNerney, K (2013). A blueprint to managing multiple chronic conditions and pain. J Fam Pract, 62(12):S1-S25. PMID: 24340343
- Collins-Bride GM, Saxe JM. (Both Primary Editors) (2013). Clinical guidelines for advanced practice nursing: An interdisciplinary approach (2nd Ed.). Sudbury, MA: Jones & Bartlett Publishers.
- Fontaine, D, Stotts, N, Saxe, J & Scott, M (2008). Shared faculty governance: A decision making framework for evaluating the DNP. Nursing Outlook, 56(4), 167-73. PMID: 18675017
- Saxe JM, Janson SL, Dennehy PM, Stringari-Murray S, Hirsch JE, & Waters CM (2007). Meeting a primary care challenge in the United States: Chronic illness care. Contemporary Nurse, 26(1), 94-103. PMID: 18041989
- Saxe JM, Burgel BJ, Collins-Bride GM, Stringari-Murray S, Dennehy P, & Holzemer W (2004). Strategic planning for UCSF's community health nursing faculty practices. Nursing Outlook, 52(4), 179-188. PMID: 15328505
- Saxe JM, Burgel BJ, Stringari-Murray S, Collins-Bride GM, Dennehy P, Janson S, Humphreys J, Martin H, Roberts B (2004). What is faculty practice? Nursing Outlook, 52(4),166-173. PMID: 15328503
- Lowe S, Saxe JM (1999). Microscopic procedures for primary care providers. Philadelphia: Lippincott Raven.