Jenna Shaw-Battista, RN, PhD, NP, CNM
My research explores care practices that promote normal childbirth; Studies have examined biophysical outcomes of birth in water, and factors that motivate women to choose midwifery care and intrapartum hydrotherapy. My research focuses on the concepts of perinatal optimality; shared clinical decision-making; and a "high-touch, low tech," family-centered model of maternity care. I am especially interested in sociocultural influences on patient preferences and satisfaction with care, interprofessional health sciences education, and public health policy. One current project, Digital Birth, is exploring the use of gaming technologies to teach evidence-based labor support practices. For more information, see: http://citris-uc.org/news/birthing_games2011
- Childbearing Families: Maternity and Newborn Nursing Care
- Advanced Nurse-Midwifery Management
- Limited Obstetric Ultrasonography for Interprofessional Trainees
- Women's Health Assessment
- California Nurse-Midwives Association: Secretary (Board of Directors); Conference committee member; Administration and teaching limited obstetric ultrasound continuing education workshops.
- American College of Nurse-Midwives, Division of Research: Optimality Index (OI)- United States and OI- International working groups.
- Journal of Women's Health & Nurse-Midwifery: Peer reviewer.
- Fullerton JT, Low LK, Shaw-Battista J, Murphy PA. (2011). Measurement of perintal outcomes: A decade of experience and a future vision for the Optimality Index-US. International Journal of Childbirth, 1(3), 171-178.
- Hutchison M, Ennis L, Shaw-Battista J, Delgado A, Myers K, Cragin L. (2011). Great minds don't think alike: Collaborative maternity care at San Francisco General Hospital. Obstetrics & Gynecology, 118(3), 678-682. PMID: 21860300
- Shaw-Battista J, Fineberg A, Skubic B, Wooley D, Tilton Z. (2011). Obstetrician and nurse-midwife collaboration: Successful public health and private practice partnership. Obstetrics & Gynecology, 118(3), 663-672. PMID: 21860298
- Kennedy HP, Grant J, Walton C, Shaw-Battista J, Sandall J. (2010). Normalizing birth in England: A qualitative study. Journal of Midwifery & Women's Health, 55(3), 262-269. PMID: 20434087