Erica Monasterio, RN, MN, FNP-BC
My expertise is in working with high risk youth in community-based settings and developing and monitoring primary care programs to serve marginalized youth. I am active in training health care and social service professionals to increase their knowledge, sensitivity and skills in working with adolescents and young adults, particularly in the areas of adolescent development, risk and resilience, sexuality, sexual minority youth, substance involvement and designing interventions to support youth in modifying their risk. My special interests are in developing accessible, interdisciplinary, community-based services for youth, integrating mental health, reproductive health, and STD/HIV services into primary care settings.
- Adolescent Health
- Complex Problems in Family Health Care
- Clinical Practice Seminars for Family Nurse Practitioners
Family Nurse Practitioner, Adolescent and Young Adult Clinic, UCSF: Attending clinician and direct clinical service provider, providing general primary care and gynecologic care to adolescents and young adults and supervising Adolescent Medicine fellows, pediatric residents on rotation in Adolescent Medicine, medical students and nurse practitioner students. Special interest in the care of adolescents and young adults with disabilities with a growing practice serving these youth and families, particularly as they "age-out" of pediatric care and transition to adult care.
- Monasterio E. (2011). The adolescent and young adult (11-21 years of age) interval visit. In J Saxe & G Collins-Bride (Eds.), Clinical guidelines for advanced practice nursing. Sudbury, MA: Jones & Bartlett Publishers.
- Monasterio E, Shafer M. (2011). Contraception; sexual behavior; pregnancy. In C Rudolph, A Rudolph, G Lister, L First & A Gershon (Eds.), Rudolph's pediatrics (22nd Ed.). New York: McGraw-Hill.
- Monasterio E, Hwang LY, Shafer MA. (2007). Adolescent sexual health. Current Problems in Pediatric Adolescent Health Care, 37(8), 302-325. PMID: 17716611
- Marcell AV, Monasterio EB. (2003). Providing anticipatory guidance and counseling to the adolescent male. Adolescent Medicine, 14(3), 565-582. PMID: 15122161
- Monasterio EB. (2002). Enhancing resilience in the adolescent. Nursing Clinics of North America, 37(3), 373-379. PMID: 12448999