Dean Schillinger, MD
My current research is related to healthcare for vulnerable populations and focuses on literacy, health communication, and chronic disease prevention and management. I am carrying out a number of studies exploring the impact of limited health literacy on the care of patients with diabetes and heart disease and have developed and evaluated communication programs tailored to the literacy and language needs of patients with chronic disease.
- Attending Physician, Inpatient Medical Service, (5 clinic conferences/year)
- Attending Physician, Medical Consultation Service (2 weeks/ year; 4 lectures/month)
- Lecturer, Health Communication Seminars SFGH Residency, (4 two hour seminars/year)
- Lecturer, UCSF Primary Care Grand and/or Medical Rounds (2 per year)
- Lecturer, ATCR course on Translational and Implementation Sciences (Epi 245): taught seminar on Case Studies in Implementation Research, Program Evaluation and Logic Models
- Society of General Internal Medicine
- American Diabetes Association Professional Section
- American Academy of Communication in Healthcare
- American College of Physicians
|2010||CDC/NIH National Diabetes Education Program Frank Vinicor Award for Diabetes-Related Media Communications (Radio Bilingue)|
|2010||Outstanding Mentor in Clinical Research, Bay Area Clinical Research Symposium (UCSF, Kaiser DOR, Stanford University, Sutter Health, Palo Alto Medical Research Institute)|
|2009||Engel Career Award for Communication Research, American Association of Communication in Healthcare|
|2009||Meiklejohn Visiting Professor, University of Colorado School of Medicine|
|2009||Quality Leader Award, CA Association of Public Hospital System/Safety Net Institute|
- He G, Sentell T, Schillinger D. (2009). A new public health tool for abnormal blucose risk assessment: The AGRA-6. Preventing Chronic Disease.
- Kim Y, Situ M, Handley M, McLean I, Schillinger D. (2009). Ecology matters: Patient perspectives of diabetes self-management support strategies in a safety-net health system. Asia Pacific Journal of General Practice.
- Moffet HH, Adler N, Schillinger D, Weintraub JA, Selby JV, Liu JY, Karter AJ. (2009). Dental insurance and utilization among medically insured patients with diabetes (DISTANCE). American Journal Preventive Medicine.
- Schenker Y, Fernancez A, Sudore R, Schillinger D. (2009). Interventions to improve patient comprehension in informed consent for medical and surgical procedures: A systematic review. Medical Decision Making.
- Steinman MA, Schillinger D. (2009). Drug Detailing in Academic Medical Centers: Regulating for the Right Reasons, with the Right Evidence, at the Right Time. Response to Open Peer Commentary “The Pitfalls of Deducing Ethics from Behavioral Economics: Why the Association of American Medical Colleges is Wrong about Pharmaceutical Detailing.” American Journal of Bioeth.