Charlene Harrington, RN, PhD, FAAN
For the past 30 years, my research has focused on long term care services and policies including nursing homes and home and community based services. My research has examined long term care policies, utilization, expenditures, and quality of care
Current Areas of Teaching:
- Long Term Care
- Gerontological Society of America
- American Public Health Association
- Institute of Medicine
Selected Honors and Awards:
|2008||Doctoral Student Mentor of the Year Award, UCSF School of Nursing|
|2005||Doris Schwartz Award, Gerontological Society of America|
- Harrington C, Hauser C, Olney B, Rosenau PV. (2011). Ownership, financing, and management strategies of the ten largest for-profit nursing home chains in the United States. International Journal of Health Services, 41(4), 725-746. PMID: 22053531
- Ng T, Harrington C, Kitchener M. (2010). Medicare and medicaid in long-term care. Health Affairs, 29(1), 22-28. PMID: 20048356
- Kim H, Harrington C, Greene WH. (2009). Registered nurse staffing mix and quality of care in nursing homes: A longitudinal analysis. The Gerontologist, 49(1), 81-90. PMID: 19363006
- Harrington, C., Olney, B, Carrillo, H., and Kang, T. (2012). Nurse Staffing and Deficiencies in the Largest for-Profit Chains and Chains Owned by Private Equity Companies. Health Services Research. 47 (1), Part I: 106-128.
- Harrington, C., Choiniere, J., Goldmann, M., Jacobsen, F., Lloyd, L., McGregor, M., Stamatopoulos, V., and Szebehley, M. (2012). Nursing Home Staffing Standards and Levels in Six Countries. J. of Nursing Scholarship. 44: (1):88-98.
- Mukamel, D.B., Weimer, D.L., Harrington, C., Spector, W.D., Ladd, H., and Li, Y. (2012). The Effect of State Regulatory Stringency on Nursing Home Quality. Health Services Research. Oct;47(5):1791-813.
- Harrington, C., Stockton, J. and Hoopers, S. (2014). The Effects of Regulation and Litigation on a Large For-Profit Nursing Home Chain. J. of Health Politics, Policy and Law. In press.