Carroll L. Estes, PhD
My current research is on Social Security and Medicare policy, health reform, long tern care, and elder women's economic and health security. Credited as a founding scholar of the "political economy of aging" and "critical gerontology." I have authored and co-authored 8 books including: The Aging Enterprise (1979), Social Policy and Aging (2001), Social Theory, Social Policy and Ageing (2003), and co-authored Social Insurance and Social Justice (2009). My book, Long Term Care Crisis, was named one of the nation's Most Important Books (Choice Magazine, 1994). The edited volumes, The Nation's Health (7th ed., 2005) with Philip Lee and Health Policy (6th ed., forthcoming 2012) with Charlene Harrington, have been adopted in 400 Schools of Medicine and Nursing.
- American Sociological Association
- Gerontological Society of America
- Institute of Medicine
- American Society on Aging
- Association for Gerontology in Higher Education
|2011||Social Justice Award, Gray Panthers National|
|2010||Advocate of the Year, Council on Aging, Sonoma County|
|2010||The Hockaday Medal|
|2009||Honorary Fellow, American Academy of Nursing (FAAN)|
Philip G. Weiler Award for Leadership in Aging and Public Health,
American Public Health Association, Gerontological Health Section
- Estes CL, Wallace SP. (2010). Globalization, social policy and ageing: A North American perspective. In D Dannefer & C Phillipson (Eds.), The SAGE handbook of social gerontology (Chap. 39, pp. 513-524). London: Sage Publications Ltd.
- Polivka L, Estes CL. (2009). The economic meltdown and old-age politics. Generations, 33(3), 56-62.
- Estes CL. (2009). Aging and diversity: The situation of older women. In EP Stanford & TC Nelson (Eds.), Diversity & aging in the 21st century: Let the dialogue begin (pp. 89-104). Washington, D.C. AARP. www.aarp.org/diversityandaging.
- Estes CL,Wallace SP. (2009). Globalization, social policy, and ageing: A North American perspective. In D Dannefer & C Phillipson (Eds.), International handbook of ageing and social policy. UK, London: Sage Publications. (original chapter)
- Rogne L, Estes CL, Grossman B, Hollister B, Solway E (Eds.). (2009). Social insurance and social justice: Social security, Medicare, and the campaign against entitlements. NY: Springer Publishers.