Carmen J. Portillo, RN, PhD, FAAN
For the past 15 years, my program of research has focused on HIV/AIDS with an emphasis on women, health disparities for people infected and affected, symptom management, adherence and stigma. Studies have included women with HIV/AIDS, adherence and stigma issues, and exploration of concepts such as self compassion in the role of adherence. I am currently Director of the Nursing Research Training Program on HIV/AIDS Care and Prevention; Co-Director of The International Center for HIV/AIDS Research & Clinical Training in Nursing, and I am active in the International Nursing Network for HIV/AIDS Research.
- Theory Development
- Community Health Intervention & Evaluation
- Association of Nurses in AIDS Care
- National Association of Hispanic Nurses
- American Academy of Nursing
- Gay C, Portillo CJ, Kelly R, Coggins T, Davis H, Aouizerat BE, Pullinger CR, Lee KA. (2011). Self-reported medication adherence and symptom experience in adults with HIV. Journal of the Association of Nurses in AIDS Care, 22(4), 257-268. PMID: 21377900
- Kohi TW, Portillo CJ, Durrheim K, Dlamini PS, Makoae LN, Greeff M, Chirwa M, Naidoo J, Uys LR, Holzemer WL. (2010). Does perceived HIV stigma contribute to nurses' intent to migrate in five African countries? Journal of the Association of Nurses in AIDS Care, 21(2), 134-143. PMID: 20116298
- Portillo CJ, Mendez MR, Holzemer WL, Corless IB, Nicholas PK, Coleman C, Dole P, Eller LS, Hamilton MJ, Kemppainen JK, Kirksey K, Nokes KM, Reynolds N, Wantland DJ, Sefcik EF, Bunch EH, Canaval GE. (2005). Quality of life of ethnic minority persons living with HIV/AIDS. Journal of Multicultural Nursing and Health, 11(1), 31-37.
- Portillo CJ, Tom L, Lee KA, Miramontes H. (2003). Physical and mental fullness as descriptors that influence sleep in women with HIV. Holistic Nursing Practice, 17(2), 91-98. PMID: 12701996
- Portillo CJ, Villarruel A, de Leon Siantz ML, Peragallo N, Calvillo ER, Eribes CM. (2001). Research agenda for Hispanics in the United States: A nursing perspective. Nursing Outlook, 49(6), 263-269. PMID: 11753292