Barbara J. Burgel, RN, PhD, FAAN
For the past 10 years, my clinical practice and research program has focused on the occupational health and safety risks facing immigrant workers, including garment workers, hotel room cleaners, and taxi drivers, primarily in the area of psychosocial work factors and musculoskeletal disorders.
- Clinical Prevention and Population Health
- Clinical Management of Occupational Health Problems (an interdisciplinary course)
- Environmental Health (an interdisciplinary course)
- Adult Primary Care Nurse Practitioner Clinical Residencies/Seminars
- American Association of Occupational Health Nurses
- National Organization of Nurse Practitioner Faculties
- California Association of Nurse Practitioners
- American Academy of Nursing
- Scientific Committee on Occupational Health Nursing (ICOH)
1. Burgel, BJ, White, M., Gillen, M., and Krause, N. Psychosocial Work Factors and Shoulder Pain in Hotel Room Cleaners. American Journal of Industrial Medicine, 53(7): 743-56, 2010.
2. Krause, N., Burgel, BJ, and Rempel, D. Effort-reward Imbalance and One-year Change in Neck/Shoulder and Upper Extremity Pain among Call Center Computer Operators. Scandinavian Journal of Work, Environment and Health, 36(1): 42-53, 2010.
3. Institute of Medicine. Report and Recommendations from the Committee on the Certification of Personal Protective Technologies. Washington DC: National Academy of Sciences, 2010.
4. Nelson, R., Crothers, R., Schmotzer, G., Burgel, B., White, M. Socio-demographic characteristics, health, and success at obtaining work among Latino urban day laborers. Journal of the Poor and Underserved, 23(2):797-810, 2012.
5. Burgel, B., Gillen, M. White. M. Health and Safety Strategies of Urban Taxi Drivers. Journal of Urban Health, 89(4):717-22, 2012.
6. Burgel, B. & Childre, F. The Occupational Health Nurse as the Trusted Clinician in the 21st Century. Workplace Health & Safety: A Journal of the American Association of Occupational Health Nurses, 60(4):143-50, 2012.
7. Burgel, B. & Kennerly, S. The State of AAOHN: Sanpshot of the AAOHN Membership. Workplace Health & Safety, 60(11): 465-469, 2012.
8. Taormina, D. & Burgel, B. Development of a Pilot Respiratory Protection Survey Instrument for Occupational Health Nurses, an Educational Project. Workplace Health & Safety,61(2):79-84, 2013.
9. Burgel, B., Novak. D., Burns, C., Byrd, A., Carpenter, H., Gruden, M.A., Lachat, A. & Taormina, D. Perceived Competence and Comfort in Respiratory Protection: Results of a Nationwide Survey of Occupational Health Nurses. Workplace Health & Safety, 61(3): 103-115, 2013.