Adele E. Clarke, PhD
My primary research and creative areas are historical and contemporary sociology of biomedical sciences and technologies (especially reproductive sciences and contraceptive technologies), biomedicalization studies, qualitative research methodologies, and feminist women's health and technoscience studies.
- Co-Editor, BioSocieties: Interdisciplinary Journal for Social Studies of Life Sciences
- Editorial Board, East Asian Science, Technology & Society: An International Journal
- Editorial Advisor, Social Studies of Science
- Clarke, Adele E. & Kathy Charmaz (Eds.) (2013) Grounded Theory and Situational Analysis. 4 vols., Sage Benchmarks in Social Research Series. London: Sage.
- Clarke, Adele E. (2012) Feminisms, Grounded Theory and Situational Analysis. In Sharlene Hesse-Biber (Ed.) Handbook of Feminist Research: Theory and Praxis. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage, 2nd ed.
- Clarke AE, Mamo L, Fosket JR, Fishman JR, Shim JK. (Eds.) (2010). Biomedicalization: Technoscience, health, and illness in the U.S. Durham, NC: Duke University Press.
- Clarke AE. (Co-Editor of special issue). (2008). Introduction: Gender and reproductive technologies in East Asia. East Asian Science, Technology, and Society: An International Journal (EASTS), 2(3), 303-326.
- Morse JM, Stern PN, Corbin J, Bowers B, Charmaz K, Clarke AE. (2008). Developing grounded theory: The second generation. Walnut Creek, CA: Left Coast Press.
- Clarke AE. (2005). Situational analysis: Grounded theory after the postmodern turn. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage. Second ed. in prep. with Carrie Friese & Rachel Washburn.
- Clarke, Adele E. & Virginia L. Olesen (Eds.) (1999) Revisioning Women, Health and Healing: Feminist, Cultural and Technoscience Perspectives. New York: Routledge.
- Clarke, Adele E. (1998) Disciplining Reproduction: Modernity, American Life Sciences and the 'Problems of Sex.' Berkeley: University of California Press.